3/18/11

Recipe Roundup

Here are the recipes I made this week for my dinners.  All these fed a family of four plus some for lunches the next day.  I do not typically buy any lunch items.  I typically use leftovers for lunch.

Monday:  Chicken Fajitas

This is a pretty self explanatory supper.  I marinate four chicken breasts in a fajita seasoning most of the day.  I then grill the chicken.  I chop 1 onion, 1 green pepper, and fry in some olive oil on the stove.  I then heat up a few 10 inch tortillas of your choice.  I then cut up the chicken and place some on a tortilla and put some onions and peppers on the tortilla.  Easy and frugal.  Just how I like it.

Tuesday:  Here was a change of plans

I made hamburgers on the grill and french fries.  It was nice out and I had extra hamburger this week, so we wanted to grill.

Wednesday:  Tacos

1 lb. ground beef
packet of taco seasoning

various toppings
taco shells

This is a meal I never make the same.  I brown 1 lb. ground beef in a skillet and add taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water.  Sometimes, I do make my own taco seasoning.  I will post a list of these later.  Toppings are usually:  Olives, cheese, onion, sour cream and salsa.  I use whatever I have on hand.

Thursday: Corned beef and cabbage

In honor of St. Patrick's day, I made corned beef and cabbage.  This turned into a very cheap meal.  The cabbage was .19/ lb.  and the corned beef was $1.49/ lb.  Not too bad. I made mashed potatoes and carrots to go with this along with the St. Patrick's Day Pie.  This was a wonderful meal, that even the kids ate.

Friday:  Fish Sandwiches

I am making breaded fish fillets and putting them on a bun.  I am topping with homemade tartar sauce.  We will also be having potato salad with this. 

Tartar Sauce

1 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. dill pickle relish
1/4 tsp. dill pickle juice

Mix together and serve.

This is only pennies to make and tastes just as good as the sauces you can buy in the grocery store.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to see a recipe for tarter sauce! We like to have fish often, but I hate always having to have tarter sauce on hand. I feel like I've already learned so much from you, THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete