Well, where has the summer gone? Looks like it is only three weeks until my kids go back to school. Sniff, sniff. I actually prefer the summer months when they are home and can help out a bit more around the house. With that said, I am taking full advantage of a quiet week ahead with no evening activities yet!! Soon enough they will be creeping into the picture and once again I will be on life at full speed.
Here is this weeks meal plan.
Monday: Slow cooker pepper steak tacos
Wednesday: Slow cooker pizza casserole
Thursday: Caprese stuffed chicken breasts and broccoli
Friday: Grilled salmon, rice, and green beans.
Well over the past few years, I have had many family issues that have taken some of my time. Actually a lot of it. Well, I want to let all my readers know that I plan to return to blogging limited amounts through August, but then in September I plan to come back full time. I am so looking forward to becoming creative again. I just had to let my life catch back up with me. I can't wait to try all the recipes I have been working on and then share these with you after they pass the test of my loving family. Frugal living is my lifestyle and with grocery prices skyrocketing again I am looking forward to using the blog as my meal plan to keep me on the path to frugal living. See you all soon!!!!
The following recipe made a wonderful dinner using up leftover chicken from a few nights ago. What a great way to revive dinner!! This great recipe is from Taste of Home. I found an old issue laying around and was going to throw it away until I looked through it and found dinner. What a wonderful frugal dinner that didn't cost me anything. Probably about $2.80 per serving.
Lemon Chicken Tortellini
- 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- large skillet, saute chicken in butter until no longer pink. Remove
- and keep warm. In the same pan, cook red pepper until crisp-tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 2 cups broth; bring to a boil.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper and remaining broth until smooth;
- gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, lemon peel and
- pepper sauce if desired. Add spinach; cook just until wilted. Drain
- pasta; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Well, here it is summer and my budget has gotten away from me. I truly have fallen off the planning wagon for most of this year. Yikes!! Well, today marks week one of budget overhaul and menu planning is first on my list to get grocery spending under control.
Monday: Lemon chicken tortellini using leftover chicken.
Friday: Mediterranean smothered chicken
All meals will be served with a side salad and fresh fruit. Looks like it is going to be a wonderful week!!