Here is my wonderful easy spicy chicken gumbo recipe. I had many ask for this recipe, so here it is. All measurements may be changed in your own kitchen to make more or less for your family. Soup is pretty unforgiving, but by using frozen and canned the time taken to cook this is easy. When making this for my children, I omit the red pepper. It is a great recipe for the middle of the week, or on a night you need to get moving quickly. It is great for fall get togethers because you can double the reicpe and be on the move fast.
Quick and Easy Spicy Chicken Gumbo(Adapted from Cooking Light)
- 4 servings rice cooked
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen cut okra
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (Optional)
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken breasts (or leftover Chicken)
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, combine flour and oil in a Dutch oven; saute over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through red pepper); cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken, kielbasa, tomatoes, and broth; cook 6 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice.