10/8/11

LEEKS...EEEK!

This year, I actually planted Leeks. They grew, and now I am trying to find things to make. With colder weather approaching. I am making this soup. In my house we love potato soup. I added leeks to my good old potato soup recipe and we have perfection. I never new something could be so good!! I encourage you to try this soup. If you don't have leeks don't worry. Just add a chopped onion. It will change the flavor a bit, but it will still be good on those cold days.

Potato, Corn, and Leek Chowder

2 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 C. coarsely chopped leek (about 1 lg. leek)
1/2 C. finely chopped celery
1/2 C. finely chopped red bell pepper
2 C. whole milk
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3 C. fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 C. fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
2 lb. cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potatoes
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper .
1/4 C. finely chopped fresh parsley (or 2 tsp. dried parsley flakes)
3 Tbs. chopped fresh chives

Heat butter and oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek, celery, and bell pepper;
cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.

Combine milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Slowly add milk mixture to pan,
stirring constantly. Stir in broth, corn, potato, salt, and freshly ground black pepper; and bring
to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
Stir in parsley and chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment