3/17/11

DIY: Frugal Cleaning Supplies

I have been looking at different ways to cut costs around the house.  This week's idea is to make my own cleaners.  This is the recipe for this week.  I will review this next Thursday and let you know how it worked out for me.  I would think that you could use any type of essential oil to get the scent you would like.  I am going to experiment this next week.


All purpose Cleaner
1-2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves

distilled white vinegar.
Put the thyme in a mason jar and fill the jar with vinegar. Let stand 2 weeks. The vinegar will turn a really pretty red. I use this to clean my kitchen, floors and my bathrooms. I only dilute when I'm mopping floors otherwise I put it a spray bottle and use full strength. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and the thyme is an anti-fungal. If you don't have thyme you can use rosemary. You can use cheap apple cider vinegar as well. I use the cheapest vinegar I can find for cleaning. I only use organic apple cider vinegar for cooking.



I clean my sinks and tubs with baking soda. It works just as well as the SoftScrub at a fraction of the cost. I buy my baking soda in 3lb bags at Costco.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment