7/18/11

Sugar Cookies

My grandmother passed away in March, and since she lived in Florida and was going to be buried in Wisconsin as a family we decided to have a memorial service to her this summer.  Well, it will be this weekend, and I have been elected to make all the desserts. 

Since I have to travel 8 hours from Iowa to where the memorial will be, I am going to be making cookies and bars that will travel well.  I am excited to take my children to my childhood home and give them a great vacation.  I plan to hike Rib Mountain in central Wisconsin, spend a day by the lake (maybe catch a fish or two), and enjoy a great Wisconsin fish fry. 

This sounds like a great long weekend, but first I need to make some sugar cookies.  This recipe was always at my grandmothers house in a large cookie jar.  I am glad that the recipe was given to me by my grandmother.  I am happy to remember her life with these cookies.

SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 egg

mix all together

2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

mix together and combine with sugar mixture

drop by on cookie sheet with large tablespoon.  Grease flat glass bottom and dip into sugar.  Press each cookie. 

Bake 375 degrees for 7-8 mins.  Do not let them brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment