7/26/11

Back to School

Boy oh boy!!  The summer has flown by.  I only have a couple weeks of summer fun left and then my daughter starts back to school.  I am so not ready for school to start this year.  I am still having fun with my summer.  The first plans I have are to enter some foods into the state fair.  Then a few days later school begins.  SO, for a great summer recipe or back to school recipe try this bumbleberry pie.  It was a great surprise I found while on vacation.  I even managed to obtain the recipe from the lady who made it at the great coffee shop I stopped at.  The name itself intrigued me, but the taste was so wonderful.  Turns out bumbleberry pie is just a mix of berries in the pie and not a specific type of berry.

Bumbleberry Pie

Ingredients


5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups shortening

3/4 cup cold water

1 egg

1 tablespoon vinegar

4 cups apples - peeled, cored and chopped\
2 cups fresh blueberries

2 cups fresh raspberries

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 cups white sugar

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons tapioca

1 egg yolk, beaten

2 tablespoons water

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2.In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk together 3/4 cup water, egg, and vinegar. Stir into flour until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough into 4 balls. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight. Roll out dough portions to fit a 9 inch pie pan. Place bottom crusts in 2 pie pans. Set aside top crusts.

3.In a large bowl, combine apples, rhubarb, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and lemon juice. Mix together 2 cups sugar, 2/3 cup flour, and tapioca; gently toss with fruit mixture. Divide into 2 pastry lined pie pans. Cover with top crusts; trim and crimp edges. Brush tops with egg wash (1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tablespoons water). Cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to vent.

4.Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until filling is bubbly in center and top is golden brown.

Yield:  2 9 inch pies

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made pie in forever, your recipe looks yummy! New follower from MBC, look forward to your future posts! You can find me at

    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt makes these and I never asked what 'bumbleberry' was. Now I know! THank you for linking to our Frugal Tuesday Tip. See you next week? http://juliecache.com/2011/07/26/frugal-tuesday-tip-27/.html

    ReplyDelete