5/24/11

Tavern Burgers

This recipe was a flop...So, why am I posting it you ask?  Well, here is why.  I believe that this recipe would be very good.  It flopped because my days are long and I cooked it almost 9 hours.  Most of the time this would be fine to do.  In the case of this dish however, the liquid was not enough to keep the sugars in the ketchup from crystallizing and burning.  I will try it again in the near future, but on a day I am home so that I can time the recipe to find out how long it will take in my crockpot.  Some weeks I have a love hate relationship with the appliance that is supposed to save me time. 

Here is the recipe:


Crockpot Tavern Beef
2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

1 large onion, peeled and quartered

1 cup ketchup

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups beef broth or water

8 hamburger buns, toasted
In a skillet, brown and crumble ground beef; drain well. Place beef and remaining ingredients except hamburger rolls in a crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 12 hours. Taste for seasoning before serving and correct if necessary. Spoon over toasted hamburger buns.

Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment