4/8/12

Samoa Pie

Easter has been a great success this year.  I have much to be thankful for.  I was searching for pie recipes and found this one : Samoa Pie

I adapted it as follows and created the most wonderful creation ever imagined.  I have to say I did use my coconut custard filling that has won a blue ribbon at the iowa state fair and this pie may also have a blue ribbon attached to it after this year's fair.  It is THAT good!


Samoa Pie
1 shortbread pie crust (I cheated and used Keebler)

1/4 cup chocolate chips melted

Place the melted chocolate chips in the pie crust and spread evenly.

Topping:
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1  cup caramel sauce (I used my homemade caramel sauce recipe)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (garnish)

Toast the coconut for 10 minutes in a 325 degree oven. Stir often. When it is golden brown it is done.

Mix toasted coconut and caramel together to form the topping and set aside.

Pie:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cream of coconut
2 cups skim milk
4 yolks, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut


Mix together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Beat the coconut milk and milk into the yolks. Stir slowly into the sugar mixture. Heat mixture over medium, stirring constantly, until it boils. Continue cooking for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut. Pour directly into crust.  Chill pie.

Remove plastic wrap. Crumble coconut and caramel mixture across the top of the pie. Melt the chocolate chips. Spoon melted chocolate into a plastic bag with the tip cut off and drizzle over the top of the pie for garnish. Chill until ready to serve
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment