Last night I made up 2 pounds hamburger meat. We had nachos with some of the meat last evening and wanting to use up the rest of the meat this evening, I have decided to make htis wonderful taco salad. This is a go to meal in the summer months or when I don't want to have to cook anything. It is a way to use up the leftovers from a taco night. This is the recipe I use, but I substituted my leftover cheese and olives from a previous nights dinner.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium head of lettuce (I use leafy greens)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, olives and beef mixture. Combine mayonnaise and salsa; pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with corn chips. Serve immediately.