I decided since today is going to be a very busy Sunday I was going to make chicken provencale in the crock pot. The crock pot seems to be my go to appliance in the fall/winter months. In the spring and summer I don't seem to use it as much, but lately we have been terrible at sticking to a budget and overindulging our inner child by eating out. I am now cracking down on our spending as a whole in the family and have been planning my meals a bit more. This is helping with the spending a bit, but I am finding myself spending $20 - $30 more a week on groceries, that with increasing gas prices and I have felt a bit depressed lately. Just when I feel like I am getting a bit ahead something else comes up. Isn't that how it always works. Well enough about me and my complaints for the week. Here is a great recipe that will get you through the fall and winter months and it is FRUGAL cooking at it's best.
- Very lightly coat the bottom and sides of a crockpot with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and place them in the bottom of the crockpot.
- On top of the chicken, distribute the garlic, then the peppers, onions, and olives.
- On top of this pour on the tomatoes, wine, and olive oil.
- Finally sprinkle on top the herbs and salt and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon each). Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.