Chocolate Chip Bars
2/3 cup (10 2/3 tablespoons) butter
2 cups + 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
3 cups chocolate chips; or a combination of different flavored chips, or chips and nuts
Frugal Tip: I used semi sweet chocolate, white chocolate, and butterscotch chips. These were all leftovers and a great way to use up those last few bits in the cupboard.
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
2) Melt the butter, and stir in the brown sugar. Add the salt, vanilla, stirring until well combined.
3) Allow the mixture to cool slightly (if it's very hot to the touch), then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl midway through this process.
4) Add the baking powder, and flour, stirring to combine.
5) Stir in the chips or other additions of your choice.
6) Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it to the edges with a wet spatula (or your wet fingers). Smooth the top as best you can.
7) Bake the bars for 30 to 32 minutes, until they've risen, and their top is shiny and golden.