12/24/10

Challenge for 2011--$1 per person per day

Okay...Today I decided to take a challenge that Jan at cjpattersonontheranch has joined in on.  The concept is simple, feed your family for just $1 a day.  That's right.  $1.00 per person per day.  The proposal is that if you make a menu and buy only loss leaders at the grocery store, then you should be able to accomplish this.  I am a bit skeptical, but I will try. 

As a mom and student, I am trying to live as debt free as possible.  Over the last year, I have really looked at the grocery budget.  We spend about $600 on average each month.  Trust me that is one large amount.  I must say though, I have not shopped much this month.  I have tried to build my stockpile over the last year.  The last half of the year, I have seen my grocery bill shrink.  I have totally eaten from my stockpile this month.  Feels great to have a month of grocery savings and be able to use this on Christmas shopping.

I have found with a little planning, we can accomplish about anything we can set our minds to.  My family is no exception.  I will be taking next week to work on my meals in my freezer.  My daughter has a very rigorous dance schedule and I am gone two nights out of the week.  this leads to a very sketchy plan for dinner most nights.  Due to necessity,  We need to stop the eating out those two nights.  With a little planning, I am sure we can do this.  If anyone wants to join me in this venture, leave a comment.  I may need encouragement a few weeks into this.  Good Luck to all who have taken on this challenge.  Now I will be off to plan some meals before my Christmas gets too hectic.

2 comments:

  1. linking to this post for my examiner.com article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Good luck. I too am doing a challenge this month. 30 days of nothing. Hoping to eat out of the freezer and pantry for the month. Goal is to only spend $30 for the month. We will see if we can do that! I look forward to reading your progress.

    ReplyDelete