10/19/09

Caramel Apple Bread



Here is a wonderful recipe I make time and time again. I needed to use up some apples I had.

Ingredients
25-30 caramels
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup butter softened
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
6 eggs
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp all spice
3 peeled apples cored and chopped

preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 large loaf pans; set aside. unwrap the caramels and using scissors cut each into eight pieces. (I used the caramel pieces found in the baking aisle.) Set aside.

Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. In another bowl, stir together the remaining flour, cinnamon, and allspice. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and blend well with a wooden spoon. Stir in the apples and caramel pieces. Divide evenly between the prepared loaf pans.

Bake for 1 hour and 10-20 mins or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack and then remove from pans.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good! I was just thinking about posting some more about eating frugally. My 85 year old Mom is living with me and it is fun to hear about Depression Era food. I am planning on posting a tutorial on her "Chicken Stew".

    ReplyDelete